Friday, July 23, 2010

I just love to quill!

I've been studying a bit lately, as mentioned before, on improving my business and I've hooked up with Paper Craft Planet for the card challenges and I've really learned a lot.  But what I think is most important is that I know now, even more than before, just how much I love to quill!  While I'm constantly looking for new ideas of what to quill, I know that if you try to use your imagination and skills you can come up with a way to quill just about anything.  To me that's an exciting idea.

Most anyone quilling can do a flower.  Daisy shapes are very easy to master.  The folded roses are a bit more challenging.  But have you tried making something different? Have you tried making something no one else has made?  Who makes the rules about how quilling has to look?  How wonderful is it that you can twirl, twist and manipulate a thin strip of paper into a shape and no one can say, hey that's not quilling!  I love that you can alter that thin strip into anything you can imagine.

So I've been playing around with some ideas.  I like the idea of adding to patterned paper.  I like the idea of using something more iconic than "picture perfect."  I also like the idea that I can take a traditional card format and turn it into a beautiful personalized quilled card.

The picture below shows the card style with an oval cut from the center.  I put a piece of patterned paper that I like behind it.  Then the flowers that I quilled are my interpretation of those flowers from the pattern. The colors match as closely as I could get them to.   I think the "s" swirled shapes are great, so I added them in a pale green.  The choice of brown card stock to base it on is because of one of the challenges, and I like the way it came out.


Notice that the leaves are a little different as well.  The entire front is utilized, yet it is still airy in appearance.  One of the other things I have definitely learned is that pictures are so very important and everyone can learn more about taking good pictures.  I know I fit into that category!
So I encourage all of you to start experimenting with your quilled shapes.  Try something you already know how to do, just a little differently than you normally do.  Who knows, you may fall in love with quilling again too!

Best wishes!
 

6 comments:

Philippa said...

This is a lovely card, and I completely agree with you Shelly. There's so much room for creativity with quilling, and I just love using it to pick out details from a pattern or photograph myself. Keep up the good work!

Ann Martin said...

Nice idea, Shelly! You are so right that it's fun to challenge yourself and whatever you come up with can't be called wrong. That's something I love about quilling.

Bronwyn said...

Lovely card!

Unknown said...

That's what I like about quilling, you literally can make anything you desire. Paper is such a versatile medium.

Nati said...

Beautiful!!
Nati from Brasil
http://natiquill.blogspot.com

MetalFimo2 said...

complimenti i tuoi lavori in quilling sono molto belli, brava passa da me www.metalfimo2.blogspot.com