Monday, August 30, 2010

Hello my friends!  We've gotten the first week of school behind us now and are settling into our routine.  I was able to get a lot of creative work done last week and that makes me feel good.  The card I'm sharing today is from a challenge I participated in on the Paper Craft Planet site.  Anything But Cute (or ABC) challenges have been great to participate in.  The most recent challenge was to create a round card.  Of course with Christmas looming the first thing I thought of was a wreath.

I used brown kraft paper for the base, but must admit I think it would have looked better if I had used white.  I used two shades of green to create the leaves.  The leaves were a bit of a challenge in themselves. I have fat stumpy fingers and some of the pieces are small, so getting six points on those little babies caused me to think a bit.  But I managed!  It was fastest to pinch the coil into a marquis, then taking my tweezers I held the middle and used my fingers to hold the pinched part and push in toward the tweezers thereby creating two more points.  Then I flipped it over and repeated.  The berries were easy enough using a tight coil and ever so slightly pushing up in the middle to give them a slight roundness.  The gold bow finishes it off.




I wanted to take a minute to share an article I read on another blog.  If you can, please check this out:
http://allthingspaper-annmartin.blogspot.com/     Ann's article on Pavlos was inspiring to me.  His work emphasizes my point that there are no rules to quilling.  You can bend that little strip of paper and make it come to life!  I just love the way he used the paper to create and it doesn't look like quilling, it looks more like painting or even that he used textiles.  I just found his work to be inspiring and hope that you do as well.

Best wishes to everyone!
Shelly

8 comments:

SUGANTHI said...

I like the way you have shaped the leaves and thanks for sharing how you did it.

Bronwyn said...

Very Christmasy!

Philippa said...

Nice holly, Shelly - I like the two shades of green.

Shelly said...

Thank you ladies. I enjoy (and benefit) from you sharing your thoughts with me. I value what each of you has to say.

Cameleonic said...

Thank a lot for your comment:*:* and i just love your quillings creations.Nice work!

Ann Martin said...

Very pretty, Shelly! I always have trouble with holly leaves, but yours look really good. Thanks for the shout out about Pavlos. It sounds like you had the same reaction to his work that I did.

Gene and Charli said...

Very nice work. I've been quilling for 50 years and use tons of different things to quill on. Things sure have changed since I started quilling. I'd like to invite you to enter our quilling contest. You can get details at: http://too-bad-dogs-inc.com/store/WsPages.asp?ID=107 The contest is open to all quilling artists.

Unknown said...

very pretty